Re: Bark Mulch and community gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Bark Mulch and community gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:52:52 EDT

John,

Bark mulch can break down as well as anything else, but unless the yard
behind you has been in your family for generations, the smartest thing, after
setting up a compost bin this weekend for your veggie waste (if your
municipality permits backyard composting)   you might want to do is to do
some soil testing, if you haven't do it for a while.

In the best case, you can find out what's in your dirt and if you need to
amend it in any particular way for veggies, perennials, whatever.

In the worst case, if there has been any environmental pollution on your land
(usually lead paint) or any other kinds of heavy metal or chemical seepage
from nearby residences of businesses (like a garage or long closed factory)
you can find out, and perhaps create raised beds or containers that won't
soak up the bad stuff.

You can get a line on soil testing from the Virginia Cooperative Extension :
http://www.ext.vt.edu/. Here is a list of local offices:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/offices/. There is a Home Gardening button on the
website with an awful lot of links which can give you great, in-state
information on how to best deal with your dirt.

Also, I'd be remiss in passing up this opportunity for you to contact
community garden legend ( and former ACGA president)
Mr. Tom Tyler, M.S., Extension Agent for Environmental Horticulture, Virginia
Cooperative Extension, Arlington County, ttyler@vt.edu.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] Bark Mulch and community gardens