Bark Mulch and community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Bark Mulch and community gardens
  • From: "John Richmond" johnrichmond50@hotmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:34:03 -0400

I'm a long-time lurker on this list who enjoys receiving it every day. I live in the oldest residential neighborhood in Richmond, Virginia, one mile from downtown, the state capitol, and city hall. This year I'm starting a backyard garden using biointensive techniques, especially from John Jeavons. I just put in my compost piles last night.

Parts of two of the beds I want to dig are in a part of the yard that is covered with bark mulch. Can I mix that into the ground as I dig, or is it more productive to do something else with it?

Congratulations on ACGA's move to Blacksburg. I lived there for six years and not only is it a wonderful town, but it will find a great deal of community support there, some of it from old friends of mine who direct Virginia Tech's recycling program and the student YMCA. Hopefully we can make some use of this resource in Richmond. There is a small community garden on a lot where there used to be a house. In my section of the city and in a few others there are thousands of vacant lots, a few of them block-sized, where gardens could take off. I'd like to get in on that movement once I've got a little experience with my own garden.

Thanks

John Richmond