Re: gravel under raised beds as an extra protectant?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] gravel under raised beds as an extra protectant?
  • From: "Dr. H. Michael Simmons" simmonsm@bloomington.in.us
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:32:09 -0500 (EST)

We put down a two-inch layer of pea gravel in the bottoms of our raised
beds, which are two feet four inches high.  Depending on the contaminants,
there may actually be more danger from dust blowing from contaminated soil
than from uptake through the soil of the raised beds.  As long as the soil
in the beds is clean, there should be no problem raising beets.

H. Michael Simmons
Bloomington Parks and Recreation
Bloomington, IN