Rooted In Community Participants

  • Subject: [cg] Rooted In Community Participants
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:30:28 EDT

Passing this along for your information.

John Herndon
Village Green Community Garden
Norman Okalahoma

**SAVE THE DATE: JULY 28-31, 2003

April 18, 2003
Dear Rooted In Community Participants & Supporters,

Though we¹ve been quiet since the last conference, the RIC Advisory Council
has been working hard to start RIC on a new path and we¹re excited to talk
with you about it!  Growing Power and a collaborative of other groups in the
Milwaukee/ Chicago area will be hosting an exciting RIC conference this
summer --  RIC has hired a staff person to help organize the network and to
be a resource for network members -- the Advisory Council has gone through
much organizational restructuring and is now looking for two more RIC member
organizations to play a leadership role.  Read on to hear what¹s cooking!

For those of you who are new to the scene, Rooted in Community (RIC) is a
national grassroots network that empowers young people to take leadership in
their own communities.  We are a diverse movement of youth and adult
counterparts who are committed to building healthy communities through urban
and rural agriculture, related environmental justice, community gardening,
and food security work.  Initiated in 1998, RIC helps strengthen the
leadership skills of youth and adult community organizers through intensive
national trainings, action days, and networking opportunities.

New Coordinator
This year, we hired Michelle Mascarenhas as our part-time coordinator of the
RIC Network. Michelle helped start the Center for Food and Justice in Los
Angeles and was director until 2001.  At the Center, she worked with
parents, teachers, youth, gardeners, and other folks who wanted to speak out
for healthier schools and communities.  They organized in their communities
and got the school district and city to listen to their concerns.  She¹s
also worked to help create networks and coalitions in California and the
U.S. to build community power for food and justice.  Through her Food and
Society Policy Fellowship, she is working with groups who want to tell their
stories to the media and to policy makers about how they are building
healthy communities through grassroots organizing, education, advocacy, and
community-based projects.  Michelle is looking forward to talking with all
of you over the coming months to find out where you want to help take RIC.
Feel free to call her at (415) 508-0575 or email ric@lejyouth.org anytime!

2003 RIC Conference
Its official: this year¹s conference will be held in Milwaukee from Monday,
July 28 through Thursday, July 31. RIC will have an extra day this year and
the Milwaukee crew (led by Erika Allen and youth at Growing Power along with
their partners in the Milwaukee and Chicago) is putting together a
fun-filled, hands-on, and learning-packed agenda!  Growing Power will send
out a call for workshops and presenters soon so start thinking about what
you¹d like to present in Milwaukee this summer.  There will be some
scholarships available but as they will be limited, please start raising
funds locally.  Put it on your calendar now!

2003 ACGA Conference
This year¹s ACGA Conference, "Easy Being Green?" will be held in Chicago
from July 31 to August 3, following the RIC Conference (it¹s about a
90-minute drive) providing the opportunity for youth and adult leaders to
attend both RIC and ACGA this year, making it a solid week of hands-on
learning and networking.  There will be some youth-led workshops as well as
workshops specifically geared towards adults working with youth.  This is a
great venue to spread the word on the power of youth, to be a resource for
organizations looking to create a meaningful and empowering youth component
to their program, and a place for you to get training for your own programs.
For more information, visit the ACGA website at www.communitygarden.org or
contact Marti Ross Bjornson, Chicago Liaison, ACGA Conference 2003. e-mail
m-bjornson@nwu.edu or call (847) 869-4691.

2004 Conference
We¹re seeking applications to host the 2004 conference early this year.
We¹ve already received one completed application and we¹re looking forward
to getting more!  The deadline to request an application to host the 2004
conference is May 16, 2003.  Proposals will be due June 20 but remember that
you must request the application by May 16 so we know how many proposals we
are likely to receive. To get an application or to find out more, please
contact Michelle at (415) 508-0575 or email ric@lejyouth.org.

Advisory Council
Three organizations currently make up the advisory council. These are
Literacy for Environmental Justice in San Francisco, American Community
Gardening Association represented by GreenThumb in NYC, and Neighborhood
Nutrition Network from Gainesville.  We¹d like to offer the opportunity for
your organization to take a leadership role in this powerful movement.  One
way to play this role is by serving on the advisory council.  We also
encourage interested network members to form working groups or sit in on
occasional advisory council calls where your group¹s perspectives,
experiences, or expertise are needed.  The RIC Advisory Council is ready to
grow‹there are currently two vacant spots on this board that need your
energy and your participation.  Please email or call Michelle to get the
advisory council guidelines and let us know if you¹re interested in applying
to sit on the Advisory Council.

We¹re also looking for people to provide help and advice in our fundraising
efforts for RIC.  If you have connections with foundations or ideas for
funding sources, please let us know!

We¹re looking forward to seeing you in Milwaukee this summer and heading
into a slamming year with Rooted In Community!

The RIC Advisory Council:
    Danny Burgos, GreenThumb
    Doron Comerchero, GreenThumb
    Ellen Huntley, Neighborhood Nutrition Network
    Olivia Jones, Neighborhood Nutrition Network
    Dana Lanza, Literacy for Environmental Justice

Michelle Mascarenhas
Rooted In Community
6220 Third Street
San Francisco, CA  94124