Hawks and manure

  • Subject: [cg] Hawks and manure
  • From: "lisa vandyke" vandykelisa@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:32:15 -0500

Hi Folks,

Adam, thanks for the terribly sad updates on the NYC-version of spring plowing.What a waste.

But thank you for the note about the hawks. My great uncle was a falconer in a neighborhood in Philly, kept the birds in a mews in the little back yard. Gyrfalcons, Harris Hawks, Red Tails. Long gone now, but I will always remember that magic.

Also - innercity manure sources- there used to be a woman in downtown Mpls (on Nicollet Island) who kept a pair of donkeys, we always volunteered to clean the stable after the winter. She's long gone, too, but many folks in town have been getting a really nice, somewhat-composted mix from the U of MN barns - used to be free, but now handled by a for-profit. Still very cheap. Ag. Schools might be a good resource to check with...

best, Lisa in Mpls.

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden