Defacto Land Use

  • Subject: [cg] Defacto Land Use
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:15:33 EDT

Diana,

You may also want to look at community gardens as a subsection of  Parks and
Recreation land uses.  It is under this classification that those gardens
that the City of New York wants (and those under the aegis of garden land
trusts) survive.

It is my guess that instead of opening up a whole bag of worms by
re-instituting agricultural uses in a city after having abolished them as
non-conforming old uses, many cities have decided to fit community gardens,
chickens, ducks, bees, tomatoes and all into the "Parks and Recreation"
cubbyhole.  Thinking like a city's corporate counsel:

Imagine if you had condemned a farm by eminent domain in order to build
housing, etc. over 50 years ago by declaring the farm to be a "non-conforming
use."  The can of worms that would open (as well as complex litigation) if
urban farming became a "conforming use" after all of those years would be
staggering.
Thinking as that attorney, it would be far better to include community
gardens under "Parks and open green space."

Run this by someone in your University's law school who is really conversant
with your city and states land use regulations.  It might be the easier way
to go.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,

<< Subj:     RE: [cg] Tell me your stories!