Re: Wood to be used in a community garden.

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Wood to be used in a community garden.
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@mail.casagarden.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:08:56 -0400

My suggestion in using wood is...

If its going to be "planted" in the ground such as posts for pole beans or such, I say use something else.  In other words, if its a garden fixture that is used over and over every year, use metal (T-posts).

If its for raised beds, unless its locust, cedar, or a very dense wood, I suggest using stone, cement blocks, recycled plastic timbers, etc.

If its used for fencing, not a problem as long as it PT (unless its
again locust, cedar, dense wood, cypress etc.).

Wood, of course is OK for garden structures.

Just remember, if its going to be used on a long term, year after year situation, try to use something else.

We use no wood for the actual growing of vegetables.
We use the following:

5' to 8' Steel Posts
Reinforced Concrete Wire (for tomato cages)
Vinyl wire (pole bean trellis)
Baling twine (pole bean trellis) Cheap throw-away
Plastic cable ties - connects vinyl wire to tomato cages

I do not like to use wood because it rots, warps, becomes weak, etc. plus you're saving a few trees.

The only "maintenance" hardware we have to buy every year is the baling twine (12 bucks per year).  I try to approach problems with a one time buying solution (if possible).

We will be purchasing 16' by 5' high cattle fencing to grow
our cucumbers vertically this year (1 time purchase). They will be
supported, of course by steel T-posts.

Big Tip of The Day:  If you are driven (no pun intended) to use steel T-Posts, make sure you also purchase a "post popper", otherwise, you need to make sure your insurance is up-to-date.

I hope to update my website this spring (after Plant Day) to show how we use various materials in our garden.

Hope this helps,  Jim Call, www.casagarden.com

From: "Skyler York" <skylery@shfoodbank.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:39:21 -0700