Re: Fees for gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Fees for gardens
  • From: Tamsin Salehian tamsin@sparecreative.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:28:32 +1000

Title: Re: [cg] Fees for gardens
At our garden we cover water use and a little extra to cover postage of letters/newsletters if need be (about 5 stamps/plot). The fees are per square metre so that plot holders feel there is no fee discrimination between varying plot sizes. Plots are AUS$5/sqm/year. So far this has amounted to a little more than costs  as there was a start-up grant for the garden, so we plan to use the money to build communal areas – but we fear that as insurance costs keep rising we will not always have a reserve, and we may have to pay rent for the land in the future. (Remember to include insurance costs in your calculations). Also we have purchased communal tools which are kept in a shed and these need replacing from time to time – communal tools kept on site are important so everybody has access to tools.

If plot members do not visit there plot for a while (6weeks), they are asked if they have any circumstances which have prevented them from being there, if someone has a difficulty of some sort or other the garden usually waters and weeds the plot for them, if not, and the plot holder doesn’t come back in the next week or so, the plot goes to someone else and the fee is forfeited. Also we ask that plot holders take part in working bees as a requirement of having a plot, we’ve found that this encourages people to prioritise the working bees rather than make excuses. Also if someone isn’t cashed up they can pay their fee slowly over time.  We felt fees were necessary to cover basics, as applying for grants and fundraising takes so much time and is not always successful that we didn’t want to jeopardise the garden through cash-flow issues.  Other gardens here have lower or higher fees, some have no fees, I think it is important that the group of people who will garden and are starting up meet and discuss the pros and cons of each model and decide what is best for the garden.

Hope this helps,