Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1408 - 3 msgs

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1408 - 3 msgs
  • From: "John Richmond" johnrichmond50@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:24:58 -0400

Thanks to everyone for your replies on my mulch question. I ended up straddling the two alternatives (to separate the mulch from the leaves or not) and took out five 13-gallon trashbags of bark mulch, raking the rest into the beginnings of a giant compost pile with the leaves and a few table scraps, and breaking the rake near the end of it (it was a real cheapo given to me by my parents.

Next question: In my biointensive minifarming class my final project, due Wednesday, is to design a permaculture plan for a community garden. How would you start something like that, especially in the mid-Atlantic area? Part of the project is to make the argument that a community garden must be completely organic. People can't just do what they want with their plots beyond limits. They shouldn't be able to use chemical fertilizer (except possibly as a one-time addition to get the garden going), they shouldn't be able to use pesticides or Roundup to kill stuff, etc. I figured the best people to ask about that are community gardeners. How would you start that argument?

John Richmond,
Richmond, VA