Re: Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1408 - 3 msgs

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #1408 - 3 msgs
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 22:05:46 -0700

John are you ready? Don't get me started!! =)

Realistically there should be no argument. The approach to organic gardening
should be from the stand point of "plant health" which all "stems" from the
soil. Chemical fertilizers do nothing for the whole eco-system which lives
under the soil. To make it simple (I hope there are no soil scientists
reading this) it is all about the "life" under the soil that is often times
more important than what goes on above ground. There is a relationship
between the soil microbes and other organisms, such as earthworms, which
compliment plant growth. Their activity brings about the eco-system where
air, water, and nutrients are much easily used by the plant. We need to care
for them by giving them the organics they need, which doesn't come in
chemical form.

By fertilizing with a natural fertilizer slowly, the plant has the
opportunity to grow at the rate that it should instead of spurting up with
all that fine, tender growth that pests love. See what happens with the
quick, chemical fertilizers is the plant grows so rapidly that the cells of
the plant material become thin, weak and much easier for pests to attack
with their mouth parts. When the plant has the opportunity to grow at the
rate it should, the plant material cells grow thick and firm. Maybe a lame
example is to look at the difference between a full balloon, stretched to
its capacity and a balloon that is a few days old. Which one is easier to
pop?

Another thing that many people do not know is the fact that often times how
chemical companies get "rid" of a bad batch of pesticides is to slowly
integrate them into their fertilizer mixes, little by little. It is way too
expense to send a batch of bad stuff to the "toxic" landfill when there is a
gapping loop hole in the law when it comes to what constitutes a
"fertilizer" ingredient. In other words, the inerts came be more than meets
the eye. Also many chemical fertilizers have a ammonia base to their mix
which actually kills our dear friends the microbes. Not good when you are
building your soil and trying to promote "plant health".

Hope this helps.

Deborah Mills
www.greencure.org