RE: Transplanting trees & growing cash

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Transplanting trees & growing cash
  • From: "utahgardens" <utahgardens@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:15:55 -0700

From: utahgardens [mailto:utahgardens@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 8:15 AM
To: 'Connie Nelson'
Cc: ACGA Board

Connie

One of the things that has worked well for one group here in Utah is growing a mix of micro greens in the Spring. They can be sold within 30 days of planting; organically grown, they net a top dollar, and if you get creative, I have been told you can grow them in flats (which makes them a great greenhouse/coldframe crop), cut the greens and get a second crop off of the flat. Then you compost the roots. Of course fresh cut flowers seem to always do well at our farmers market. Ourselves, we have grown bedding plants in small coldframes. We brought in small plugs you can get for about 3.5-4 cents a piece. Put 48 in a flat (about 2.00) pay for the cost of the flat (35 cents), the inserts (25 cents) and the soil (about 50 cents) [total 3.10 cents per flat]; grow them about 6-8 weeks outside in small coldframes covered with plastic and, depending on your market, you should be able to get about $8 a flat. Notice I did not charge for labor, as we count on volunteers. If you do this, only use hardy annuals that are fairly frost tolerant. We grew snapdragons, dusty miller, petunias and dianthus. I found that the dianthus and petunias worked out the best. Plant them early to mid April (after chance of hard frost [upper 20s] has past---Having grown them commercially for 8 years, I have seen petunias go down to 23 degrees without a heater in the greenhouse) for late May sales. Make sure to keep the coldframes covered every night and uncover them by about 11:00 each day. They need water at least daily. This is a pretty time intensive fundraiser, but can be worth it. It also it a more risky one due to the weather.

Good Luck

Shane

Utah GARDENS