Food gardening

  • Subject: [cg] Food gardening
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:43:46 -0400

Dear Doris and Terry,

I understand that PSU has got rid of the Urban Gardening Program and that the Horticultural Society has reduced its programming to Garden Tender Workshops and such like.

It seems to me that this should be an excellent time to revitalize community gardening programs, emphasizing the health benefits of food gardening, e.g. exercise, healthy, relatively low cost, meals, encouraging children to eat more fruits and vegetables since they themselves have grown or helped to grow them.
Older people who have the time and energy could also derive substantial health and economic benefits from growing their own food with other like-minded people and/or with kids.

I should think that with the national emphasis on obesity, this would be a good time to find funding for food gardening projects and support.

Just a thought,

Libby

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org