Organic CSA Youth Farm Ceremony

  • Subject: [cg] Organic CSA Youth Farm Ceremony
  • From: "Deborah Mills" <deborah@greencure.org>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:10:51 -0700

Hello everyone,

I hope that your creative juices are flowing. I always get the best ideas from this list server.

To make a long story short, a project that has been in the works for the last three years is finally coming about. I have been working on starting an organic CSA farm at our new Juvenile Justice Center where a portion of our crops will be donated to FOOD Share.

Presently I am working with the court system, probation department and FOOD Share on launching this collaboration through a fundraising golf tournament. I do have to say I don't know which end of the club to use and it has been an experience on putting this thing together.

As a part of our program (after the tournament) we plan to talk about the farm project and perform a planting ceremony. Of course we will be at the golf course and planting directly into the ground isn't an option. It is my hopes to have the Juvenile Judge who heading up this tournament, head of the Probation department, Jim (FOOD Share) and two youths plus myself do this "thing".

A fruit tree seedling comes to mind but it seems a little weak on visuals. Any ideas that you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Deborah Mills