Types of food grown for food banks

  • Subject: [cg] Types of food grown for food banks
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:20:07 EDT

Hi All,

       I am compiling a list of foods which are best grown for food bank programs. Things that would be easily stored without refrigeration, high in nutrition, can easily be used in conjunction with other foods from the food bank.

We are an as yet unbuilt garden in northern CA who just joined forces with our local food bank. This change is exciting and opens up new avenues of our program. I have enjoyed reading all the news about similar garden and food bank alliances. We are hungry for more information about this.

       I am looking at growing citrus, squashes, corn, and maybe some root vegetables like potatoes, beets, onions. I particularly want to incorporate greens and brassicas into the food bank baskets as well. Of course we live in the tomatoe capital of the world and will be overflowing with tomatoes and peppers in summer months I'm sure. I just wanted to hear if there were any specific foods gardeners thought would work best for food baskets. Thanks

Elk Grove Community Garden

Nurturing community ~ Empowering people ~ Growing  good  food

www.geocities.com/egcgonline/               Coordinator Soleil Tranquilli 916-685-8010

âIn our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions
on the next seven generations.â --Great Law of the Iroquoise Confederacy