Types of food grown for food banks

  • Subject: [cg] Types of food grown for food banks
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:31:28 -0400

Hi, Folks!

Talk to your food bank's staff and find out what their clients will want or eat. Here in Phoenixville, there is no such thing as too many tomatoes -- folks grab them first. I had a request for cherry tomatoes because kids that won't eat their vegetables will try them first and often, then discover that veggies aren't so bad and will eat more variety afterwards.

Our food bank's clients aren't very adventurous -- if they don't recognize something, they won't take it. Since I personally grow a lot of heirloom/"weird looking stuff," I donate only the things that look like what the clients would see in the grocery store -- the heirloom stuff I give to people that I know who will cook it themselves and tell others about it. Eventually, they learn to like the "weird" stuff and look forward to it -- in my case, that means leeks, Dinosaur Kale, vegetable spaghetti, tomatoes of strange shape, garlic scapes etc.

Don't assume anything when it comes to veggies (I never knew that leeks were an "unusual vegetable") -- talk to your food bank's staff and find out what their clients want to see in the basket. Start with what they are comfortable and then gradually expand your offerings based on staff & client input.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org