Re: Tire Shreds for the Garden?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Tire Shreds for the Garden?
  • From: "Mike McGrath" <MikeMcG@PTD.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:28:08 -0400

I absolutely hate this stuff. Old tires are a petroleum product that has (have?) been exposed to pretty much every known chemical when that rubber hit the road--at high temps to boot. If NOTHING else, shredded tires have been shown to contain--and leach--high amounts of zinc. Plant-killing levels.
    I get calls and emails from homeowners wanting to use the stuff all the time (because they saw an ad; the name Pavlov ring a bell?). My response to them:
    "Why is it that anytime somebody has a toxic waste disposal problem, the first thing they think of is gardens?"
    Get it outta there! And have those kids collect leaves this Fall for next year.
                                ----Mike McG