RE: Tire Shreds for the Garden?

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Tire Shreds for the Garden?
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:49:47 -0500

Not sure if there are any detailed research on the effects of using this type of material as mulch, but personally I would not use it.
We get all the shedded wood we need from the city at no charge.  They even deliver it to our garden (good relationship).  Most tree arborists or surgeons also give away
their grounded up trees and limbs at no cost.
I would be worried about the heat giving off by using this stuff as well.  It is certainly not aesthetic as using wood chips.
I understand the need to recycle spent tires but maybe not to be used in this manner (playgrounds, gardens).  I understand the cost of shedded tires is not cheap,  but when you can acquire wood chips for free, hmmm....
The reason why this material was chosen was because those in power wanted to fix the problem one last time regardless of the price, its aesthetics and ramifications.
Think about it, ask a bunch of kids to sit in the grass or mulched area (shedded wood) and play during the summer heat.  Now, ask them to sit on the asphalt and play.
Hope this helps,  Jim