using shredded office paper in compost

  • Subject: [cg] using shredded office paper in compost
  • From: "Rhonda Teitel-Payne" <rhonda@thestop.org>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:08:10 -0400

Hi Judy!

My worm composting friends told me not to include glossy colour paper in worm boxes because they contain toxins the little guys can't break down.  They can handle just about anything else. But that's worm composting.  I'd be worried about bleach and dioxin from white paper.

Maybe someone else knows if there are other safe ways to break down bleached and dyed paper?

Rhonda Teitel-Payne
Urban Agriculture Coordinator
The Stop Community Food Centre
Phone: 416-652-7867x22  Fax: 416-652-2294
P.O. Box 69, Stn. E., Toronto, ON. M6H 4E1

Check-out our web site: http://www.thestop.org