RE: Raised Garden Bed Materials

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Raised Garden Bed Materials
  • From: "Jack Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:56:50 -0400

We have been using recycled plastic landscape timbers for years to build raised beds.  We haven’t used any of the kits.

Unfortunately, our supplier, after an atrocious string of bad luck, has gone bankrupt, so we are looking for an alternate product.

1.                   We most recently paid $11 for 8-foot 3X5 timbers.  We typically purchased a couple hundred timbers at a time.  The factory was just an hour from here, so we picked them up ourselves – cost was staff time and gas.  We put our beds together with 6-inch galvanized spiral deck spikes.  Each 4x8 bed, 3 layers high, uses 28 spikes.

2.                   As far as we can tell, the timbers are immortal, although they can break if you back into them with a car.

3.                   Construction was easy, particularly since the timbers bend a bit and will thus help you deal with a level of inaccuracy in cutting.  We used a circular saw for cutting.  A chop saw is a nice touch, particularly if you want to cut angles.  Sometimes we pre-drilled holes, but if we had some beefy folks who could swing a 2-lb. hammer, we didn’t bother.

4.                   The plastic lumber is somewhat heavier than pressure treated pine.  In some people’s minds, it is also uglier – ours is a kind of medium gray color.  But then it doesn’t split, splinter, or warp, and, as far as I know, it doesn’t release any nasties into the soil.

5.                   See above

6.                   I was famous in the recycled plastics business for a little while when our supplier went out of business.  Plastics World magazine called me up for a reaction, and published a story.  A good number of manufacturers called me looking for business.  I don’t know any well to tell them apart just yet, but we’ll see.

7.                   The kits I have seen seem a bit over-engineered for our purposes – they are more appropriate for small scale or back yard use.  I’ll be interested to hear what people come up with.

Jack Hale

Hartford, CT