RE: Raised Garden Bed Materials

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Raised Garden Bed Materials
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:57:28 -0500

Connie,
We do use plastic wood in our raised beds.  They serve as the top caps secured to concrete blocks. The plastic wood was purchased by the City of Huntsville.
When the city moved us to our new location, they wanted our CG to have a special area for the disabled gardener.  These beds meet ADA requirements.

1) Not sure of the cost but they are pricey as compared to wood.
2) They will last long after you and I have gone to a better garden
4) Heavier
5) Yes, using a good jig or circular saw
6) The City of Huntsville purchased the plastic wood
7) If you can afford plastic wood, go for it, virtually no maintenance and long lasting.

We planted our CG yesterday and the ARC of Madison County whose mission is to help mentally challenged individuals came out to plant our raised beds.  They had a great time (see at... http://www.casagarden.com/arc_04.htm ) .  I'm encouraging them to come back on regular basis to garden in our raised beds.

FYI - These beds are set up to be irrigated on a regular schedule via a sprinkler system (soaker hoses distribute the water).  Raised beds need more water than a normal garden.  I suggust using alot of mulch (fairly composted leaves).

Hope this helps,  Jim