Re: using shredded office paper in compost

  • Subject: Re: [cg] using shredded office paper in compost
  • From: "Mike McGrath" <MikeMcG@PTD.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:06:35 -0400

Cary--as you know, I greatly respect your composting knowledge, but I could not disagree more with you on this one. These papers ARE bleached with chlorine and do, as a result, contain dioxins that may well survive the process (providing the worms survive it, of course).  All they can possibly contribute to the process is problems--certainly no nutrients.  And much-safer newspapers are so abundant, I have to ask--why use something less good and potentially harmful?
    Here's how I answered the whole "white paper in compost or as mulch" question for gardens Alive recently:
                                    Best fishes,   Mike McG