RE: using shredded office paper in compost

  • Subject: RE: [cg] using shredded office paper in compost
  • From: Cary Oshins <caryoshins@lehighcounty.org>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:46:26 -0400

Let me set the record straight--the best thing to do with paper is recycle it into more paper.  As for composting it, paper does have one nutirient--Carbon!  Folks have learned that they need to balance Carbon adn Nitrogen, and paper is VERY high in Carbon, so it makes sense.  Unfortunately, in the typical outdoor pile, as soon as it gets wet, it loses its structural properties and does not provide the pore space that we are looking to our high carbon materials, like leaves, twigs and straw, to provide. But it's main value is in worm bins as bedding-something to maintain moisture and give the worms a home that you can bury the food in.   As for the risk from dioxin in paper--fuggetaboutit!  You could mulch your tomatoes for 50 yrs with nothing but office paper and hardly budge the risk-o-meter a hair.  But I certainly dont recommend it--there are better things to use as mulch and to do with the paper--RECYCLE IT!
Wormly yours,