Re: Plot Applications

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Plot Applications
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:45:35 -0400

Re plot applications: Here is a link to the Clinton Community Garden's website -  http://clintoncommunitygarden.org. Please click the  http://clintoncommunitygarden.org/rules_&_regulations.htm button and read.

We have applications for both our front and back gardens and require applicants to read it there in front of the person handing out keys and plots - we joke that , "there's going to be a test," but we need to know that our rules have actually passed the eyes of the person requesting the key, or who has gotten to the place on the wait-list for a garden plot sublet or assignment has read our rules.

For some, it may seem like alot of rules, but like the Ten Commandments, someone had to transgress them for the rule to be written down - nothing capricious here.  We require that front key holders live or work in our catchment area and insist that folks who have garden plots live in our garden area ( about 100,000 people live in our garden area) so they can be actively gardening on a daily basis during the season.

Our garden rules are printed in the major languages of our neighborhood - English, Spanish and Arabic and have set times and places for key assignments, with committee members dedicated to this detail.

More than anything else, the process and governance of the garden has to be fair and transparent - no sense that anyone is getting preference and secret deals. Everyone is loved, everyone gets their chops busted if they screw up - equally. Cliques, and unfair governance is a community garden killer.

Keep your rules and paperwork simple, to the point and fair.  And follow up.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden,