Re: Mendocino, CA: John Jeavons Speech

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Mendocino, CA: John Jeavons Speech
  • From: "Ken Hargesheimer" minifarms@gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 07:22:58 -0600

I do not know the circumstances when John made that statement but I want to
suggest a reason for John's answer.  I read his book in 1982 and followed it
faithfully.  In 1997 I took his 3-day course with app. 40 other people.  I
was already reading about no-till gardening.  I taught my first workshop in
1989 and have taught them since.  I have found that most people will not
double dig.  It is too much work.   In 2001 I stopped teaching double
digging and teach no-till in permanent beds.  It is my opinion that John
answered that way because he realizes most people will not do it or he
wanted the people to take his course to learn the specifics of how-to.

Ken Hargesheimer