Re: Help! Dealing with an ADA ramp

This can be tough or easy depending on the way your local authorities interpret the act and the way the garden is. For example, in our garden we had a problem with making the main entrance reliably accessible. The garden is on a 10% incline towards the sidewalk and that creates a lot of erosion. We have an entrance that a truck can (and does) drive into but the soil kept washing out and creating a very un-wheelchair friendly surface. The prevailing interpretation of the law is that if it's easily accessible by wheelchair, you've made the grade.

We first tried flattening down the ground and using gravel but that would get kicked out into the street and wash away during heavy rains. We also tried setting slate slabs down ourselves but once again the rain and snow would ruin it in a year or less. Eventually we came to realization that a professional installation would probably be the only way to go. An industrious garden member applied for a grant which was awarded so we could hire a pro.

The contractor excavated the ground which was compacted landfill. Their back-hoe had a tough time. They constructed a drainage system, placed several layers of different size gravel and topped it with custom cut slate and rock brick borders. The result? A wheelchair friendly pathway that has lasted three years without any wear or erosion damage. The best result is that we are now regularly visited by residents of the local nursing home who previously found the garden path tough to negotiate.

Cost? $14,000. Not far from your estimate.

If you can demonstrate that the garden in it's existing condition is wheelchair accessible or with minor work could be, you should be good to go. The path should be flat and lump free. No place for a small wheel or a cane to get stuck. Borrow a wheelchair, weigh it down if you can't find someone to sit in it, and try to manuever it around. It should have enough room to turn around easily.

William Hohauser
President
6th Street & Avenue B Garden
New York, NY