RE: mosquito control

  • Subject: [cg] RE: mosquito control
  • From: "Alliums" garlicgrower@green-logic.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:09:58 -0400

Hi, Folks!

Emily wrote:

<<Our community garden (6/15 Green) in Park Slope, Brooklyn, has been
plagued by a phenomenal mosquito population over the past two years. We're
trying to get a head start this year on covering out water barrels and other
measures to avoid having as much of a problem this year. Have any other
community gardens had success stories related to combating mosquitoes?>>

If covering the barrels works for you, go for it.  I buy a gallon of cheap
vegetable oil and pour about an inch of oil on top of the water in each
barrel -- it does gunk up the watering cans, but it's cheap, doesn't hurt
the plants and is very effective.  This technique was used in Philadelphia
since it was founded and we're still using it.

<<One of the things we want to do is install a batbox or two. Has anyone had
a success story with attracting a bat population? Care to share it with
us?>>

We have 5 bat boxes at the community garden and after 4 years, we have yet
to have a single bat.  Personally, I suspect that they like the abandoned
factory across the street from us much better and when the developer who
recently purchased the factory tears it down, I think the bats will be
lining up to move it. What's really frustrating is that at dusk, I can see
the bats flying out and over the garden on their way to someplace else -- I
wish they would stay and eat more of OUR bugs!

Hope this helps -- I'm interested in hearing how folks deal with these
situations also.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of