RE: Re: BRAND NEW STUDY--ECONOMIC IMPACT OF COMMUNITY GARDENS

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: BRAND NEW STUDY--ECONOMIC IMPACT OF COMMUNITY GARDENS
  • From: plantlot@rcn.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:01:49 -0400

I went to a briefing by the researchers. They used the data from
Council on the Environment's Community Garden Mapping
Project to locate the gardens and determine the dates the
gardens started. In fact the study would have been much more
difficult and time consuming without the CGMP data.

I read the paper and this is a serious academic, real estate /law
study. As the researchers explained to us, the real estate
developers / industry has the money to pay for studies to show
the economic benefits of building on a parcel of land.
Communirty Gardeners don't have the money.

Mike McGrath pointed out, the best paragraph we can take from
the study clearly shows that cgs have a positive impact on the
value nearby residential properties. (Not such a clear impact on
commercial properties). (Paragraph copied below)
Another great quote from the study,
"Our results show that such gardens can lead to increases in tax
revenues of around $1 million per garden over a 20 year period.
"

These are NYC real estate numbers so the impact may be less in
other cities...
According to the researchers these are conservative estimates
and take into account costs incurred by the city in the creation
and maintenance of the garden. As many people may realize
those are not easy figures to estimate.

"We find that the opening of a community garden has a
statistically significant positive impact on residential properties
within 1000 feet of the garden, and that the impact increases
over time. We find that gardens have the greatest impact in the
most disadvantaged neighborhoods. Higher quality gardens have
the greatest positive impact. Finally, we find that the opening of
a garden is associated with other changes in the neighborhood,
such as increasing rates of homeownership, and thus may be
serving as catalysts for economic redevelopment of the
community."

I have asked ACGA to post the paper or a link on the ACGA
website.

Lenny Librizzi