Fwd: Community Garden: Spring Planting Underway!

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: Community Garden: Spring Planting Underway!
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:59:08 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/2006 8:05:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
garlicgrower@green-logic.com writes:

Hi,  Folks!
The community garden has been  completely transformed since we opened on
April 1st.  Most plots have their  composters installed and folks have planted
lettuce, broccoli, Pak Choi,  broccoli raab, onions, shallots, bulb fennel and
potatoes.  The Mitchell  Program of St. Gabrielbs Hall has completed  the
wood
chip paths between the plots, so feel free to wander around the paths  and see
what everyone has planted.
The Ume trees have finished blooming, but the peach, pear  and plum trees are
all in bloom now.  The apple trees will probably burst into bloom by the
middle of the  week. The American Daffodil Society  bulbs on the labyrinth
appear
to be late-season daffodils b we have a few red-centered  daffodils and a
couple of very pale  yellow ones, but the majority seem to be waiting for
another
week to pass  before setting their buds.  Across from the labyrinth, in the
poppy bed,  are some standard white daffodils  and a cluster of unique ones
with
white back petals and peach (!!) colored  trumpets b of all the boddb
colored daffodils, this one is my favorite so  far!
Tuesday nights at the garden with  the Perennial Garden Volunteers is the
place to be b we had 10 people and 3  dogs on our first Tuesday night with 9
people and 2 dogs last Tuesday night.  Webve weeded through the new
north-central
perennial bed and the  Formal  Herb Garden b this Tuesday webll weed and
prune out the deadwood in the northwestern bed next to the hardy kiwi
pergola.
The herbs on the labyrinth have not appreciated late March and  early
Aprilbs
very warm days  followed by sudden, hard-frost nights b webll give them
another two weeks of  gentle rain and warmer temperatures to convince them to
completely break  dormancy before we prune and trim the area.
Anyone is welcome on any Tuesday  to join in with the Perennial Garden
Volunteers for weeding and  conversation.  For the rest of the month, we have
special job  available to anyone who would like  to join the conversation, but
doesnbt want to get their hands dirty:   Shanlee has adopted a 4 year old, 7
pound Pomeranian named Dot  who was found as a stray by the SPCA.   Dot is
still
very confused as to why she isnbt bhomeb and it  appears that she
hasnbt
spent much time outdoors and is a little nervous about  it.  But itbs a
great
comfort for her to sit in peoplebs lap and be  petted b she leans against
you and
makes little grunting sounds.   Shanleebs vet feels that itbs important
for
Dot to have lots of human contact  b so if youbd like to spend a relaxing
Tuesday night at the garden, but donbt  feel like wielding a trowel, you can
be b
The Designated Dot Holder!b  :-D
For those who do enjoy wielding a  trowel, webll be continuing to plant
through the end of May.   Unfortunately, the Russian Thistle seems to be
gearing up
for a massive  infestation by April 29, the Spring  Work Day.  Come help us
uproot this invasive weed between 10 am and 2 pm  and webll treat you to a
pizza lunch!  Brownie Troop 1712  will be coming out on May  6th to plant
flowers
in the horticultural beds around the  labyrinth. The Small Fruits Area will be
planted after the last frost date with  purple Royalty raspberries and Pink
Champagne currents from Nourse Berry Farms  and thornless blackberries donated
by Rafebs grandfather.  Come join us  whenever your schedule permits.
Here is our schedule for the next  3 weeks:
Monday             3:30 pm to  5:00 pm        Mitchell Program of St.
Gabriel
bs Hall (except 4/17 for the Easter  holiday)
Tuesday            5:30 pm to  dark              Perennial Garden Volunteers
(Great Conversation; Necessary, but Low-Impact  Weeding!)
Wednesday       3:30 pm to  5:00 pm        Mitchell Program of St.
Gabrielbs
Hall
Friday               3:30 pm to  5:00 pm        Mitchell Program of St.
Gabrielbs Hall
Saturday,  April 29         10 am to 2  pm               Spring  Work Day b
Pizza for all volunteers!
Saturday, May  6             1  pm                            Brownie Troop
1712 plants flowers around the labyrinth b helpers  welcome!
Do visit the community garden  while the fruit trees and unique  daffodils
are  blooming!
Dorene
Dorene Pasekoff,  Coordinator
St. John's  United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth
A mission of
St. John's  United Church of  Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville,  PA
19460
The community garden has been completely transformed since we opened on
April 1st.  Most plots have their composters installed and folks have
planted lettuce, broccoli, Pak Choi, broccoli raab, onions, shallots, bulb
fennel and potatoes.  The Mitchell Program of St. Gabriel's Hall has
completed the wood chip paths between the plots, so feel free to wander
around the paths and see what everyone has planted.

The Ume trees have finished blooming, but the peach, pear and plum trees are
all in bloom now.  The apple trees will probably burst into bloom by the
middle of the week. The American Daffodil Society bulbs on the labyrinth
appear to be late-season daffodils - we have a few red-centered daffodils
and a couple of very pale yellow ones, but the majority seem to be waiting
for another week to pass before setting their buds.  Across from the
labyrinth, in the poppy bed, are some standard white daffodils and a cluster
of unique ones with white back petals and peach (!!) colored trumpets - of
all the "odd" colored daffodils, this one is my favorite so far!

Tuesday nights at the garden with the Perennial Garden Volunteers is the
place to be - we had 10 people and 3 dogs on our first Tuesday night with 9
people and 2 dogs last Tuesday night.  We've weeded through the new
north-central perennial bed and the Formal Herb Garden - this Tuesday we'll
weed and prune out the deadwood in the northwestern bed next to the hardy
kiwi pergola.  The herbs on the labyrinth have not appreciated late March
and early April's very warm days followed by sudden, hard-frost nights -
we'll give them another two weeks of gentle rain and warmer temperatures to
convince them to completely break dormancy before we prune and trim the
area.

Anyone is welcome on any Tuesday to join in with the Perennial Garden
Volunteers for weeding and conversation.  For the rest of the month, we have
a special job available to anyone who would like to join the conversation,
but doesn't want to get their hands dirty:  Shanlee has adopted a 4 year
old, 7 pound Pomeranian named Dot who was found as a stray by the SPCA.
Dot is still very confused as to why she isn't "home" and it appears that
she hasn't spent much time outdoors and is a little nervous about it.  But
it's a great comfort for her to sit in people's lap and be petted - she
leans against you and makes little grunting sounds.  Shanlee's vet feels
that it's important for Dot to have lots of human contact - so if you'd like
to spend a relaxing Tuesday night at the garden, but don't feel like
wielding a trowel, you can be "The Designated Dot Holder!" :-D

For those who do enjoy wielding a trowel, we'll be continuing to plant
through the end of May.  Unfortunately, the Russian Thistle seems to be
gearing up for a massive infestation by April 29, the Spring Work Day.  Come
help us uproot this invasive weed between 10 am and 2 pm and we'll treat you
to a pizza lunch!  Brownie Troop 1712 will be coming out on May 6th to plant
flowers in the horticultural beds around the labyrinth. The Small Fruits
Area will be planted after the last frost date with purple Royalty
raspberries and Pink Champagne currents from Nourse Berry Farms and
thornless blackberries donated by Rafe's grandfather.  Come join us whenever
your schedule permits.

Here is our schedule for the next 3 weeks:

Monday                        3:30 pm to 5:00 pm        Mitchell Program of
St. Gabriel's Hall (except 4/17 for the Easter holiday)

Tuesday                       5:30 pm to dark             Perennial Garden
Volunteers (Great Conversation; Necessary, but Low-Impact Weeding!)

Wednesday                  3:30 pm to 5:00 pm        Mitchell Program of St.
Gabriel's Hall

Friday                          3:30 pm to 5:00 pm        Mitchell Program
of St. Gabriel's Hall

Saturday, April 29        10 am to 2 pm               Spring Work Day -
Pizza for all volunteers!

Saturday, May 6            1 pm                           Brownie Troop 1712
plants flowers around the labyrinth - helpers welcome!