Re: Request for feedback - garden programs for homeless people

  • Subject: [cg] Re: Request for feedback - garden programs for homeless people
  • From: "Cynthia Price" skyprice@gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:10:47 -0400

Grand Rapids (Michigan) has one garden, the Heartside Peace Garden,
that's in a neighborhood where most of the people are homeless, and
it's run by someone who's homeless, for the benefit of others who are
homeless. The individual who runs it is the chair of our community
gardens committee and is on our board. (Can tell you more off-list if
you're interested.) He's very reliable and dedicated, and a very good
thinker in terms of organizational rules and policy. This may not be
exactly the model you're looking for since it wasn't started by an
outside organization, but actually it functions somewhat that way.

The garden is quite informal in a lot of ways, but I know he has a lot
of problems with people hanging out there and drinking, as well as
with people who start something and don't finish it. However,
everything's pretty cool and what gets grown gets grown. This
individual also eats ONLY locally-grown food and eats a lot from his
garden plot -- I believe he shares his overages with other homeless
people -- a lot of the time he seems to survive on Jerusalem
artichokes during the winter (tho he gets items like kale to
overwinter).

There's also a related non-profit called The Hard Times Cafe, but I
don't know a great deal about it. It seems to serve meals once a week
at least partially sourced from the garden when possible.

If anyone is interested I can get you contact information.

Cynthia Price
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council