Upside Down Tomatoes

  • Subject: [cg] Upside Down Tomatoes
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:12:01 -0500

To All,
While wasting my life away the other night watching the TV, I came across
the QVC channel promoting a couple of Topsy Turvy Tomato Hanging Planters to
grow tomatoes upside down.  They were about 29 bucks for two.  Boy oh boy!

I thought about using old 5 gallon plastic buckets instead at little or no
cost.. then drilling holes in the bottom, inserting the tomato, adding a
good soil/compost mixture and lastly hanging it upside down from our arbor.
Because these tomato planters are like hanging baskets and receive alot of
heat and sun exposure, they will be irrigated by a drip system on a timer
(maybe twice a day).

One more thing, I may have to create a heavy cardboard collar around the
planting hole to keep the soil/plant in and to protect the tomato.

Any thoughts on my simple design or tomato recommendation?

Oh yeah, since they are grown upside down, should I call them the "Tomatoes
From Down Under" or the "Outback Tomato Crop"?  :)  Whoever comes up with a
unique title for these unusually grown tomatoes will be acknowledged on my
website... www.casagarden.com.

Since space is a valuable commodity in the CG world, others may want to try
this method.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations/ideas.

Jim Call, Huntsville, Al

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.