Starting CGs in Ada Oklahoma

  • Subject: [cg] Starting CGs in Ada Oklahoma
  • From: Rita Bosico ritabosico@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:54:34 -0700 (PDT)

I'm writing from Ada Oklahoma and our church's
501.c.3. Matthew 25 Mission is launching out to build
community gardens in the low income and med income
areas of the city. We want to plant veggies and herbs.
Have some fruit trees and nut trees and edible
landscaping plus a hoop house when we can.

I am at the stage of trying to get organizations aware
and included.  What advice to you have in starting
these things??  How do I get the soil and lumber for
the raised beds?  How do I structure the maintenance
of the beds?  How do I structure the harvesting to
make sure those in need actually get the food?  How do
I get the city to agree to free water for our drip
irrigation?  How do I get the plots of land for free?
Ah the woes of a newbie.

I had an Urban Harvest presenter in March but only 8
people showed up - 3 master gardeners and 2 rotary
members - but no where near the numbers I wanted.

Any leads or advice are welcome. I am new to this list
and yet we want to plant ASAP to get a harvest this
summer.  Our website is www.stlukesada.com/matthew25
and this is the link that describes the Urban  harvest
in Oklahoma City through the Regional Food Bank where
we order food for our mission:
http://www.okhorizon.com/programs/2005/Show0520/UrbanHarvest.html

Sincerely,

Rita Bosico, M.Div., M.A.