[cg] Farm Apprentice Position Available

Accokeek Foundation/RWS Ecosystem Farm
          3400 Bryan Point Road
          Accokeek, MD 20607
          Contacts: Shane J. LaBrake
          (301) 283-2113
          (301) 283-2049 FAX
          e-mail: ecofarm@accokeek.org

               RWS Ecosystem Farm is looking for an intern with a strong desire to learn, work
               outdoors in all types of weather, and work hard under pressure. Some experience in vegetable
               agriculture is preferred, though not necessary. Interns will have basic instruction,
               including opportunity to learn tractor operation, tools and techniques, and CSA
               operations, as well as philosophy of sustainable agriculture. Season runs from
               April–December 1999.

               Interns will be involved in soil preparation, planting, transplanting, drip irrigation,
               cultivation, pest control, greenhouse work, harvesting and preparation.

               The Ecosystem Farm is an 8-acre certified organic vegetable farm (includes
               blueberries, cut flowers, and culinary herbs) on the banks of the Potomac River in
               Piscataway National Park. We use solar power for irrigation, potable water and electric fencing. We
               market to an 80-household CSA.

               We offer a monthly stipend of $1250 and will assist the apprentice in finding local and
               affordable housing. We tend to share a daily potluck lunch. The Accokeek Foundation is
               an Equal Opportunity Employer.

	  Contact by phone, e-mail, or mail before April 15, 1999

Happy Gardening,

John Edward Verin
Senior Apprentice
Ecosystem Farm
Accokeek, MD

BTW, if you don't know how to grow your own food you don't really have any clout, Y2K or not, so... LEARN!
How many millions of Americans live in poorly made, over-priced houses built on farm land, race twice daily at deadly speeds to and from a toxic city to do a job they don't really like in a plastic office so they can get money to give to someone else in order to eat food?

Food is power... are you in control of yours?