[cg] organic farm apprenticeship available

RWS Ecosystem Farm Organic Farm Apprenticeship

          Accokeek Foundation
          RWS Ecosystem Farm
          3400 Bryan Point Road
          Accokeek, MD 20607
          Contacts: Shane LaBrake
          (301) 283-2113
          (301) 283-2049 FAX
          e-mail: ecofarm@accokeek.org (Please, no emailed apprenticeship inquiries.)

               We offer a nine month apprenticeship position for those seriously committed to
               learning the craft of farming. The position starts April 1999. Individualized
               instruction and experience are offered in all aspects of organic vegetable
               production, including the use of modern farm machinery

               We operate a Community Supported Agriculture Program (CSA), that serves 80
               households. We grow over 65 varieties of vegetables, herbs, and flowers. We
               are a demonstration farm actively engaged in adaptive research and education.
               We farm on an eight acre field that is certified organic. The field has a long
               history of harmful farming practices, thus soil regeneration is a major
               component of our work.

               The farm is located within the boundaries of Piscataway Park / National Parks
               East and is managed by The Accokeek Foundation in trust with the National
               Parks Service. The farm sits on the banks of the Potomac River across from
               Mount Vernon in Southern Maryland.

               Experience in organic agriculture is preferred, though not necessary. A strong
               desire to learn, work outdoors in all types of weather, and work hard under
               pressure are required. The apprentice will work from mid-April through
               December. There can be an option to stay for a second season as a senior
               apprentice. We offer a monthly stipend of $1250 and will assist the apprentice
               in finding local and affordable housing. The Accokeek Foundation is an Equal
               Opportunity Employer.

               If interested please contact Shane LaBrake at the above phone number.

Happy Gardening,

John Edward Verin
Senior Apprentice
Ecosystem Farm
Accokeek, MD

BTW, if you don't know how to grow your own food you don't really have any clout, Y2K or not, so... LEARN!
How many millions of Americans live in poorly made, over-priced houses built on farm land, race twice daily at deadly speeds to and from a toxic city to do a job they don't really like in a plastic office so they can get money to give to someone else in order to eat food?

Food is power... are you in control of yours?