Re: to plow or not

Pat wrote:

>We have a small community garden in the inner
>city of Kansas City, Kansas.  It is located on a lot, which was formerly
>the site of a house.  The soil was very poor and rubble-filled when we
>began.  We cleared as much as we could--to perhaps a depth of 12-18
>inches--and tilled in several loads of compost.  My question is what
>would be the best way to improve the soil with a bit of grant money we
>have.  Should we continue to add compost to the top and till it in

Since you're in a vacant lot where a house used to be, I would suggest just
adding as much organic matter as you can get your mitts on (compost, wood
chips, fallen leaves, manure, etc.), till in what you can and make raised
beds from the rest.

If you plow, you are only going to unearth lots of rubble that is only going
to get in the way.  Build your soil and when the rubble rises to the
surface, build walls out of it then.

Let sleeping bricks lie! ;-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of