RE: to plow or not to plow

City Guys,

I take my hat off to you. What a huge job you've done already!

It might seem like gilding the lily, but depending on how many folks you
plan to have gardening you may consider  creating raised beds for
individuals  as it prevents border conflicts between gardeners.

I don't know if you intend to use this space primarily as a food resource or
as a mixed public garden as well.

We do the latter in NYC with 100 X 150 feet ( roughly 5 tenements in space
with their back yards.) http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

You'll note that we have a large public garden area with decorative beds and
benches. We also do neighbohood veggie scrap composting in our front garden.
People here are really getting into this. We do get the occasional
inapppropriate item  in the compost, but generally it works well. We also
have a composting section in our rear garden.

The support that we get from the neighborhood derives in large part from
this public area where non-gardeners can enjoy the formal garden and "go
barefoot in the park." Seniors particulary enjoy the flower beds and the

It really makes me feel good to hear about your garden. Please tell us how
you progress!