Re: HFH and community gardens

I am becoming alarmed at the tenor of this thread regarding Habitat for
Humanity. I have been involved with both HFH *and* community gardens here
in New Haven, CT, for almost 10 years now. My experience has been that
the two serve in tandem as tools for residents seeking to reclaim their
neighborhoods from drugs and gangs.

It saddens me terribly to think that a chapter of HFH has behaved in the
manner described, but I admonish the readers of this list not to paint
all HFH affiliates with the same brush. Each HFH chapter operates
independently; HFH International provides opportunities for training and
assistance with organization and development for those affiliates who
wish to make use of them, but it has no direct control over the specific
actions of any chapter.

This is the first I've heard of conflicts between HFH and community
gardeners, but I intend to ask around both the community gardening and
HFH communities in this area to see if it has occurred and just hasn't
"made the headlines". In the meantime, I urge everyone not to condemn HFH
en masse because of inappropriate actions on the part of a single
chapter.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Barricklow
North Haven CT