Re: Film on bushes

At 08:45 PM 8/15/2000 -0400, David Taylor wrote:
>I have a lilac bush and euonymus bushes that have a white film on the
>leaves.  The lilac bush has had this problem before but I can not remember
>why this happens or how I treated the problem.  Any ideas?

Is it powdery looking?  If so, it could be powdery mildew, a fungal disease
to which both lilacs and euonymus bushes are prone, especially in hot and
humid conditions where they don't get good air circulation to help dry out
their foliage.

There are no cures, only preventatives.  I'd suggest first thinning them
out, using the pruning rule of thirds:  Remove only a third of the branches
at a time, after they've flowered, per year over a three-year period.  If
thinning doesn't get the problem under control by increasing air
circulation, and the cultivars are worth the effort of using synthetic
chemical controls (which I really don't like), then you can apply a
fungicide such as Cleary's 3336 in the spring once the leaves have fully

Hope this helps,

Dawn M. Ripley
County Extension Agent for Urban Programs
Cooperative Extension Service, Jefferson County
8012 Vinecrest Avenue, Suite 1
Louisville, Kentucky  40222-4690

(502) 425-4482			dripley@ca.uky.edu
(502) 425-0109 fax		www.ca.uky.edu