RE: bagonia's

Dear Frosty,

There may be others on this listserve who have better and easier solutions
on how to winter begonias and other annuals ( like geraniums.) The solution
that I've used in the past is to dig up the healthier ( and more expensive)
annuals trasplant them into decent pots and put them into sunny windows in
the conference rooms and accounting dept of the company that I work for.
The company gets attractive cared for plants for the winter  ( it's a
non-fattening lunch time occupation of mine - watering, etc.)  that costs
the company nothing.  I get to winter the plants. It's a win-win situation.

In late spring I move the survivor plants ( leaving started cuttings form
the plants in the windows and pass out mid-summer photos of the plants in
their "summer home" to folks who lived with them in the winter) and
transplant them in the garden. Mind you, I still need to replace many plants
that have not survived wintering, transplanting.
 I've found that this strategy has built good will within the corporation
for our community garden and NYC community gardening as well. With carfare
and potting, I find that buying new in the spring might be cheaper, but in
generally the public relations aspect is worth it.