Conservation of water

  • Subject: [cg] Conservation of water
  • From: "Julia McKnight" <pathways@ithink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:15:20 -0400

Hello, we have just completed our first community garden in Lake Wales, FL.
Nine families and individuals took over an overgrown lot in a blighted area
of town and turned it into a beautiful garden full of tomatoes, okra,
squash, peppers, onions, basil, thyme, watermelon, flowers and papaya trees.
Our first harvest was abundant. So was our water usage! I am looking for
tips on water conservation since it's the right thing to do and we live in a
drought area.

We used a drip irrigation system, but had to supplement it, (despite
spreading newspapers and hay around the plants) with sprinklers and
occasional hand watering. Also, those plants furthest from the main source
received less water. Our drip lines clogged easily.

Can anyone suggest a better way to irrigate? Also, how do you assure that
individual gardeners conserve? We told them how to test the soil for
wetness, but some really liked standing around chatting while holding on to
a fully-charge hose.

We are getting ready to plant our fall garden; have doubled the number of
plots and really could use some information. Thanks! Julia McKnight, board
member of the Lake Wales Community Garden Association.