RE: Rudy Giuliani Fibbed Again - Gardens do not displace homeless

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Rudy Giuliani Fibbed Again - Gardens do not displace homeless
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:46:53 -0400

Jim,

We have 10,000 empty, rubble filled lots in the five boroughs of NYC. There
are currently 400 community gardens under the aegis of NYC's department of
Housing Preservation and Development ("HPD") slated for sale. Eliott
Spitzer, NY State's attorney general has a gotten an injunction from the
State Supreme Court to stay the sale of these gardens which has held for
over a year.

Mayor Giuliani has not presented plans or answered key questions that the
judge, Judge Huttner wants to know:

Actual statements by Judge Huttner why the injunction is being upheld
against
the city's  argument:

"Out of the 400 community garden sites, how many developers have submitted
concrete housing plans? And then out of this number, how many gardens have
negotiated with the developer to work out solutions to either incorporate
the
garden into plans or relocate to a new site?"

The mayor and the administration are stonewalling.

Now they're lying to the press.

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman