More Gardens!

  • Subject: [cg] More Gardens!
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:24:04 -0400

Aresh's crew from More Gardens!, without doubt or question, were the driving force behind the petition drive, originated the idea and compiled the books of 23,000 signatures. A few short of the amount to get garden referendum on the ballot, however, 23,000 good signatures on legal petitions is a victory.
 More Gardens!, with out doubt or question is the heart and soul of the Lower East Side and NYC based community garden movement. Nationwide, Aresh's "Earth Celebrations" group is very well known. http://www.earthcelebrations.com/ and their annual pageants are an inspiration to all of us.
We can't have a garden rally without Aresh and More Gardens!, and the City Hall press conference was his baby. I love being able to say in garden negotiations in Hell's Kitchen, that if things go sour I'll bring in a thousand of my buddies from the Lower East Side in flower suits to block 10th avenue during rush hour for the TV cameras. And yes, David, in the speed of typing out this message, I did not include your contribution.
Despite how hard we all work in NYC, however, the support of a national organization like the ACGA is essential in communicating to knucklehead local officials - across this great nation of ours - that community gardening in this country is national, with thousands of community gardens coast to coast and in Canada. If they won't listen to hometown advocates, it's great that there is a national group to jump in, like firefighters from Chicago helping in a Colorado forest fire.
Best wishes,
Adam Honigman