community gardening research ideas

  • Subject: [cg] community gardening research ideas
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" <ariel@tc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:40:40 -0500

I attended a conference on food and society here at the University of
Minnesota a few months ago.  Most of the attendees were academic researchers
and graduate students.  I expressed to all the ones I met while hosting
tours of my community gardens that we need scholarship to back up our claims
about the benefits of community gardening.  These faculty are great allies
of the work we do and we need to keep opening the doors between their world
and the grassroots world where most of us garden.

In particular, Ardyth Gillespie (an Associate Professor in the Division of
Nutritional Sciences at Cornell University working in community nutrition),
asked me for specific ideas for researching community gardens.  I plan to
send her some suggestions but I wanted to open it up to the list serve
because we all have different perspectives on community gardening.  Ardyth
advises graduate students who are looking for direction for their research
projects.  Please send her your ideas at AHG2@Cornell.Edu

Thanks -

Anna Wasescha
Farm in the City and ACGA list manager