Parks 2001 Parks, Recreation Center & Community Garden Rally

  • Subject: [cg] Parks 2001 Parks, Recreation Center & Community Garden Rally
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:22:51 -0400

Hi All!

This is a city-wide event that needs community gardener representation, big
time. Like the Lotto, you have to be in it to win it!

As you know by now, on Saturday, September 8th, there will be a huge rally
for parks, recreation centers and community gardens in Union Square Park.
The rally is from 1pm until 3pm.

At the rally, there will be speakers, hopefully some of them will be
celebrities. The mayoral candidates are being invited to say a few words, as
well. Of course, it is important to get as many people into the park as
possible. We would like the speakers (and media) to see a huge mass of
people, of many different ages and races, from every corner of the city.

This is where we need your help.
We would like to have one representative for each park, recreation center
and community garden in the city. The representative will be given a sign,
which says "Vote Parks" on one side and is blank on the other side. Each
representative will be asked to fill in the blank side with the name of
their park,recreation center or community garden. You could either pick up
the sign prior to the event and be creative in decorating it or pick up the
sign at the event and simply write the park name in magic marker.
Our assignment is to find a representative for each park. We want to give
the leader of the Friends of the Park goup dibs on their park. Many parks,
recreation centers and community gardens have volunteers, but some do not.
So, in many cases people will be holding signs for a park, which isn't
necessarily for their park.
Could you please let Mary, Nate and I know, as soon as possible:
If you will be attending the rally,
If you can hold the sign for your park,
If you can volunteer to help us make calls to find representatives for parks
that do not have volunteers.
If you cannot attend, please nominate someone else from your park, to hold
up the sign.

In addition to finding a representative for each park, we need to find a
representative for about 500 groups that are on our list. We have a list of
the groups, with the contact person and a phone number. Some of the groups
are associated with parks and some are not. In some cases we will need to
have a person hold a sign for a park and then another person hold a sign for
the group.

But we need to do this as soon as possible, as the rally is less than two
weeks away!!

Sorry about the long e-mail, but I wanted to be clear as possible. Feel free
to e-mail or call Ellen Remor at Partnerships for Parks with any questions.

Eileen Stasny Remor
Manhattan Outreach Coordinator
Partnerships for Parks
City of New York Parks and Recreation