Re: garden group issue

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden group issue
  • From: David Smead <smead@amplepower.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:11:05 +0000 (UTC)

Lynn,

These are just my observations about community - I have no professional
background in the subject.

You can generate a sense of community with a charismatic leader, but there
will always be some who fail to be impressed or see faults with that
person.  Dissent will effectively be repressed.  At some point, however,
that kind of community will fall apart.

It takes trust and good faith for a healthy community to grow and survive.
The issue facing the new leader isn't what rules to apply.  What has to
happen is getting each gardener to feel vested in, not just their plot,
but the garden as a whole. And that's only possible if each gardener feels
like they are equal in the decision making process - something not
possible with an autocratic leader, or one who survives by charming some
inside group of participants who `run the show'.

How can you get there from where you are? First, make NO decisions or
plans for the way the garden should or shouldn't be. The new leader needs
to find one other person to join her in a `garden community effort', which
can be just a general cleanup of the garden.  Keep this effort short,
perhaps an hour, but do follow it with food. The sharing of food is viewed
by all cultures as a positive and community building experience.

Now try to make this `event' regular.  Invite others, but don't coerce
them. It may take awhile to get the other gardeners involved, and the
event may have different gardeners who attend at different times.

As time goes on, the garden will take the shape that the participants want
it to.  Be ever mindful that there will never be a single vision for the
garden, nor should there be.  The best you can hope for is that the garden
is an expression of people working their own plots with pride, and
participating at their level of comfort with other gardeners on community
issues.

And don't wait for next year. Start now!

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.greenpatch.org