Fwd: community garden for youth

  • Subject: [cg] Fwd: community garden for youth
  • From: Sally McCabe sallymcc@libertynet.org
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:40:16 -0400

Title: Fwd: community garden for youth
From: "Christine Duden" <christineduden@hotmail.com>
To: <smccabe@pennhort.org>,
       <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
Subject: community garden for youth
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:13:41 -0500
I would like to use communtiy garden space in St. Louis,
Missouri to begin a garden for disadvantaged youth.  I am an attorney currently working as a university administrator and have summers off.  I am also an avid community gardener.  I would like to start a garden in cooperation with the juvenile court system as a diversionary program for young first time misdemeanor offenders.  The program would also be open
to other at-risk teens.  The organic produce raised would be sold to local restaurants, to sustainable community garden individual suscribers (much like The Food Project does) and donated to local food shelters.  I am partial to garden models that sell at least a portion of the harvest, as kids then learn a great deal about marketing, finance, accounting, sales, etc.  Additionally, St. Louis has a very vibrant upscale restaurant community.  It is common to see our local chefs shopping at farmer's markets, and my initial research shows that there should be eager restaurant customers.  Profits from the sales would fund college
scholarships for student workers, much like Food From the 'Hood in LA.

I am still in the very initial stages of research.  I have contacted Gateway Greening, my local community garden association, but have not yet met with them.  I would appreciate any other direction you can provide on resources and contacts.  I have already come accross Food From the 'Hood in LA and The Food Project in Boston.

Thanks for your help!

Christine Duden
dudence@slu.edu
(w) 314-977-8176