soil testing

Hello gardeners,
I need some input/advice from you.  I'm wondering how other gardens deal with soil testing.  In Toledo, when we start working with a new garden we have the soil tested, usually through the University of Massachusetts.  The only heavy metal tested for is lead.  Of course, a lot of our garden sites are on former building sites. Luckily, we have only had a moderate reading twice.  Are there other chemicals I should be concerned about?  If so, where would the testing be done?  Thanks!
We are stardust  .  .  . we are golden  .  .  . and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.
Shelly Collins
Toledo GROWs Manager
Toledo Botanical Garden
5403 Elmer Drive
Toledo, Ohio  43615
"Enriching you life through gardens, the arts and nature"