Bulldozing Update

  • Subject: [cg] Bulldozing Update
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:00:31 -0400

This is an update for interested ACGA listserve members:

Friends,

We in NYC are expecting many gardens to be bulldozed when Attorney General Spitzer's community garden lawsuit against the City of New York is settled. Of the 146-odd gardens in question, a goodly number will be demolished. The Hon. Mr. Addabo, the  NYC Council Parks chair (as urged by the mayor's office and special pleadings by local real estate interests) has killed NYC Council Intro 206,  effectively delaying hearings about gardens until after the settlement is finalized. The NYC Council community garden hearings, if they are ever held, look to be a post-mortem and wake rather than a viable forum to save and/or preserve gardens.

Like  many of us who have been proponents of the previous three garden bills, I realize that  it is no good to cry over delayed or killed community garden legislation - enough tears will now be shed over bulldozed gardens or by nightstick induced headaches.

FYI, the attached missive is about a Civil Disobediance training that took place last Saturday in Brooklyn.  Please contact Mr. Mark Leger at the address or e-mail address below if you are interested in participating in these trainings or protests.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman