Re: Re: Bulldozing Update

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Bulldozing Update
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:39:08 -0400

1) While I agree that most of the garden protests have been largely non-violent and  free of nightstick excesses, many of NYC's most professional police officers and supervisors (who are skilled at dealing with Civil Disobediance on a large scale) are now taking retirement in large numbers. We are currently experiencing an unprecidented hemorrhage of the best of NY's Finest and it is a matter of real concern for many New Yorkers.

This is because NYC police pensions are calculated at half of the salary earned in the the last year served, including overtime - 9/11 gave our police force unprecedented overtime. Let us pray( some gardeners do, even in NYC)  the more experienced, professional officers are detailed to  bulldozings, not nervous rookies who will reach for their nightsticks.

The post-settlement NYC Council hearings will be interesting because instead of talking before the bulldozings, testimony will be heard during and after. While I agree with Mr. Leger that substantial content may be aired during these hearings on open space siting equity and environmental justice,  the effect will be that of a post-mortem.

It is my hope, and the reason why I would attend these hearings, that if the settlement does not preclude the creation and legalising of new community gardens in the future (and this is a great fear of many gardeners) that these hearings be constructively used to legislate a garden land use process at that time.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman