Re: Re: storing perennials

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: storing perennials
  • From: Tamsin Salehian tamsin@sparecreative.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:31:03 +1000

Hi Jeneva,

An option would be to get polystyrene fruit/meat storage boxes from the
supermarket/butchers if these are available in the US (they are still
available here but are being phased out).

They are just larger than your average cardboard fruit box and are made of
white polystyrene insulation and the butcher/cold storage type come with
well-fitting lids. You could bed the plants in these and they should over
winter fine, I've grown plants in them and they've done well. You can even
stack them. It doesn't get cold enough here to test out overwintering them,
but my dad digs stuff up all over the place (from friends/demolishion
sites...) and puts them in these boxes and occassionally forgets all about
them, but they seem to be fine when he gets back to them. The polystyrene is
a fantastic insulator (although not v good for the environment). It would be
a bit of an experiment but is better than forgoing your beautiful plants.

We make cheap worm farms out of these boxes with drainage holes and
flyscreen (if anyone wants plans for Frank's Polystyrene Worm Farm please
let me know).

Goodluck,
Tamsin
Melbourne, Australia