Re: storing perennials

  • Subject: [cg] Re: storing perennials
  • From: Jeneva Storme jenevastorme@yahoo.ca
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:14:40 -0400 (EDT)

I would not bring any of them indoors - they will need
a dormancy
Try the heeling in idea in any chunk of soil outside,
a patch at the
site, a neglected corner of a friends yard, whatever
is avail.
Otherwise, if
you loose some of the plants, let me know - I have
plenty of sources
for the
motherwort and some of the others. Best of luck, try a

If I brought them indoors, they would go into the
basement where they could go dormant -- we don't have
the space or the lighting to support a lot of plants
that are used to being outside.

What I am most concerned about regarding "heeling in"
or otherwise storing them outside, is that here in
Manitoba, it gets incredibly cold in the winter, and
I'm afraid that anything that's not actually
established in the ground is just going to freeze and

The main reason I am so concerned about the "outdoor
storage" option is that I tried transplanting some
perennial herbs last fall, from boxes that had to be
dismantled, and it was apparently a bit too late in
the season, as not one of them came up again in the
spring.  Is there anyone from this region who has tips
about overwintering transplants in this particular
climate?  Otherwise, unless I can find good homes for
them soon, I think I'll try to give them a dormancy
period in the basement, and hope for the best.

Thanks for your advice.

Shade and Sweet Water,

Greening West Broadway Coordinator
"Neighbourhood Solutions for Community Change"

West Broadway Development Corporation
640 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0X3
phone: 774-3534  fax: 779-2203
website: http://www.westbroadway.mb.ca